From their offices in Ottawa and North Bay, the legal professionals at McLeans Lawyers provide their clients with a broad range of legal expertise based on decades of experience.
Ian McLean, BA, MA, LLB
Municipality of Metropolitan Toronto, Legal Services Department
- expropriations, police defence, prosecution on behalf of the police, including jury trials
- municipal law, planning issues and land use, including the Toronto Island arbitration, land valuation development for Scarborough Town Centre, Scarborough light rail transit (LRT) land rulings and expropriations
Royal Bank of Canada, Counsel, Litigation
- banking litigation, labour relations, supervising international litigation both by and against the bank in Canada, European Union and the Caribbean.
POINTTS Advisory Limited, Co-Founder
- with Co-Founder Brian Lawrie, POINTTS effectively launched the paralegal profession in 1984, paralegals are now recognized in four provinces
Private Practice, North Bay and Ottawa
- civil litigation, employment (including wrongful dismissal), real estate, land valuation, environmental, planning and expropriation, and criminal law
University of Toronto, BA, History and English
Oxford University, Christ Church, MA, Jurisprudence
Dalhousie University, Schulich School of Law, Halifax, LLB
While at Oxford, Ian studied with a Mackenzie King Traveling Scholarship from the University of British Columbia. He earned his Oxford “Blue” to play hockey and lacrosse against Cambridge University. Among other campus activities, Ian was also Secretary of the Oxford University Strategic Studies Group and a member of the Oxford University Indian Society, Poetry Society and Scottish Country Dance Society.
Ian is also the author of Pull Over Please: What to do when the police stop you, with Brian Lawrie, published by Doubleday Canada.
Ian was a Founding Director of Toronto’s Elmer Iseler Singers, now in their 33rd season.
He has also led humanitarian groups on short-term trips to Guatemala, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, India, England, France, The Netherlands, Germany, Hungary, Ukraine, Ghana, South Africa, Mozambique and Kenya.
McLeans Lawyers supports a Mercy Home in Kerala, India that gets children off the streets and places them with families that will raise them as their own, regardless of background.
Ian can be reached at email@example.com.
Matthew Mayo, JD
Matthew Mayo, JD, served in the Royal Canadian Air Force for 10 years helping to ensure Canada’s national sovereignty and air security at the North American Aerospace Defence Command (NORAD). During his studies at Nipissing University, Matthew accepted early admission to the University of Ottawa Faculty of Law.
During his Law studies, Matthew interned with Mcleans, which included drafting a successful appeal to the Ontario Court of Appeal. He also interned with Webber, Schroeder, Goldstein, Abergel in Ottawa. He was called to the Bar in 2013.
Matthew was appointed to the County Carleton Law Association Real Estate Commitee in September of 2014, and continues in this capacity. His main areas of work with McLeans Lawyers are real estate, wills and estates as well as handling both criminal law, and civil litigation files.
Matthew can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
(613) 695-6774 ext. 201
Bonnie Matte, Law Clerk, studied at Canadore College in North Bay for certification through the Institute of Law Clerks of Ontario. Bonnie has enjoyed assisting clients in both the Ottawa and North Bay locations since 2008.
Bonnie can be reached at email@example.com.
(613) 695-6774 ext. 202